Wednesday, May 6, 2009

"The Sharing Corner" episode 1

So I've been vegetarian for over 3 mths! Yay! I still really like it a lot and haven't missed the meat one bit. I've already lost weight eating clean and am looking forward to more results.

This past weekend, however, I finally answered a question that had been burning on my mind since I first began eating vegetarian... how is it that there are overweight vegetarians??? Well, I now know the answer. After a weekend of cheese pizza, reduced fat cheeze-its, & pineapple coconut juice, popcorn, skittles, etc; I felt very very unhealthy. This all happened because I didn't have any meals prepared ahead of time like I've been doing. So when I got sick I didn't care what I was eating. Thus finally answering my own question, & yes, it is quite possible to be an unhealthy vegetarian.

Now that I got that all out of my system (believe me... with all those carbs it was quite the painful challenge!). I'm back on the health kick & I'm ready to break open a new cookbook and try some exciting (or at least yummy) vegetarian dishes.

This weekend I made Tofu Veggie Stir Fry which ended up being more like "Tofu Veggie 'fried' Rice" since I added 1/2cup long grain rice. All in all, it could be better. It needs more spice. After all, I do like my spicy dishes! Any ideas as to what spice to add would be very welcomed. I didn't use a specific recipe, just lots of stir fry veggies, a little oil & garlic, soy sauce & tofu. Let me know!

I'd also like to thank my family and those around me for putting up with my new vegetarian diet... I try not to talk about it too much but it's exciting! :)

2 comments:

mkoleary said...

did you name you "painful challenge" this time? ; )

i have a SMOKY RED PEPPERS 'N' BEANS GUMBO recipe to share with you. it's vegan, my neighbor made it, and freaking awesome!! i w'll bring you the recipe. you can add tofu or what ever you might like to it.

i also have some chili power that i'll bring to you. this power is made solely of ground chillies and provides one heck of a kick. also i have found that if i make my own spice mixtures, i can adapt them to how i want them to taste instead of what comes from the store. i store them in glass and i've noticed that they stay fresher than the plastic that some of them come in.

i like hearing about your veg adventures!

emmyc0220 said...

Hey! I have a great veggie recipe that we make a lot - and you're in luck - Steve is allll about spicy food! You can grill extra firm tofu and large slices of fresh eggplant(I didn't think I would be a fan either) The marinade for the eggplant is simple and quick -

Then the part that makes the tofu really tasty is something called Chimichurri sauce, it looks like a pesto, but has more kick to it.

Give me your email address if you're interested and I will send you the links to the recipes! Mine is emmiec0220@yahoo.com