Wednesday, April 1, 2009

"Slap me, I'm an April Fool"

Its April Fools... possibly my least favorite day of the year. Its the national holiday for all those simpletons who lack a true funny bone. The ones who don't always get the joke the first time, who don't pick up on it when you're being sarcastic, who spend a lot of time looking at me (the smart ass) with rather blank stares. Yes, these humor challenged individuals soak up this one day a year to attempt to pull off 'funny'. Bless their little hearts.

Often they've started skillfully planning weeks in advance for this day. Like the year a coworker of mine diligently practiced a fake accent for months just so he could spend a whole 45 seconds pranking me on the phone. So precious.

Yea, I'm required to keep a face of encouragement to these awkward creatures. Meaning my entire April 1st is spent forcing at least a few half smiles and a handful of a "wow, you sure got me with that whoopee cushion" type of comments. Its like watching in pain as the Special Olympics' kids compete against the pros. (insert shout out to Obama here)

Sure, I often wish that when one of these goons walks up to me to tell a joke (then very unskillfully check the post it note 'hidden' in their hand for the punch line) well I wish I could just stare at them blankly and walk away without any acknowledgment of their painful attempt at humor. But I just can't. After all, I suppose I could give them one day of the year considering they are my, albeit often unwilling, audience the other 364 days of the year. Yes, I think next year I should even get them all t-shirts to commemorate their special day of being 'funny'. Perhaps florescent pink shirts with a catchy slogan like "Slap me, Im an April Fool!!!"

~ Amanda (aka Smartass McGee)

No comments: